Saturday, August 16, 2008

Connect















I've seen stuff like this on the road- but never on the couch- and never relating to sort of an acquaintance- always been detached- somewhat. Been seeing this rabbit, Rabbit, in neighbor's yard for months now- really cute- living the good life, enjoying the grass and leaves and clover and sun and rain and everything (hear the Snow White music chime in with birds chirping, etc.). It lived with its family in an over-grown ex-cow pasture over the fence- set to be another ugly housing development- now on hold due to housing market shizzle- (maybe only good thing about the shizzle is that some green land/rabbit homes will survive a little longer). So anyway, this past Thursday, Rabbit finally found its way over to Dog's yard- which sadly spelled the end of the good life for him(her?). I walked in house and saw them there in living room - Dog has never killed more than a small snake before- and she seemed confused, and or detached, or I don't know exactly what- she just was lying there staring into space- sort of worried and sad looking- and seemingly oblivious to my arrival. I blurted out something like ahh maaann- %$#@!- and yelled bad dog! a few times- and then cleaned the scene of the crime up- the couch at least survived due to the absence of any blood or goo. I apologized later, Dog was just doing what dogs do (however, detached from the wild, she was never taught why she did it- thus the confusion). I couldn't hunt- I don't even like to watch the scenes in nature shows that show animals hunting and killing. (I'm a vegetarian, but I suppose I could maybe hunt if I had to for survival, ex., if stranded on Veggieless Island). I thought about hunters who do it for ego- for fun- for sport, and don't even eat their victims- that's just senseless and wrong- but that's just my opinion. I guess if there is a need to cull a herd to prevent starvation and a slower, more painful death- then hunting may make sense- I guess just have to accept the dark side of nature along with the bunnies.
The above sketch is of the scene as best I remember- I closed my eyes- looked- opened- sketched- or maybe not in that order. The below is Dog's mug-shot- I swear it wasn't me who ratted her out!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a story--rather traumatic.
I really like the drawing.

6:23 PM  
Blogger ElizT said...

I only wanted to play, honest!
[with love from Dog].

7:52 PM  
Blogger luisa brehm said...

oi, Andy, it happens ....
it happened with my cats too, with birds and, you know ... but they just want to play .....
don't be sad or mad, ok ???

by the way, great drawing !!!

happyyyyyyyyyyy weekend hugsssssssss and kissessssssssss
and caresses to Dog

8:33 PM  
Blogger studio lolo said...

I think the dog was shocked and dismayed that it "killed" it's new toy. Confused, perhaps. I have one of those dogs. I think the thrill is in the chase and hopping and snorting. (That's what she does when she senses a raccoon has passed through the yard.) She looks like a 12 pound gazelle!
I'm sad for Rabbit and for his 'good life' ending. I'm sad for Dog too. I wonder if her brain will register not wanting to do that again? That would be great, to detach herself from hunting.

Excellent memory drawing. The dead stare and lifeless body...and the guilty dog. And that touch of pinkness. Perfect.

Have a great weekend Andy! Now go bail out that jailbird :)

6:36 AM  
Blogger steve said...

Sorry about the incident Andy, and I like how you portrayed this (and wrote about it here as well). I too share your views and I'm glad you are able to so eloquently write about them here!

5:41 PM  
Blogger AndyDoodler said...

Thanks all! Enjoy your weekend
(I bailed her out- as I type this- she's sleeping at my feet under desk).

2:48 PM  
Blogger luisa brehm said...

happyyyyyyyyyyy weekend, Andy !!!
i see you are feeling better too ....
ohhhhhh Dog is a she ;-)))))))))))

big hugssssssssssss and kissesssssssssss

yes, it's saturday aug. 23

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home