Monday, May 19, 2008

Y'd



















Wide range o' s%$#! that I wanna do- blah blah blah- Was really getting into fiddling with video couple of years ago- haven't much touched it in over a year now. Get sidetracked all the time– with all this tech stuff in the world, it gets to be too much sometimes-- often long for simpler times, when wasn't such a wide array of paths. Anyway, I went into old weird fiddle-video that came to mind when I saw the topic Wide, and clipped the clip posted below– found I've forgotten a lot of the FinalCut shortcuts, etc. Seems always having to choose one road over another- sometimes I wish I could take them all (insert here - cliches about time (they're pretty true)). Maybe I'll get back to video soon, anyhow. Guess wide area of life involves need to choose- sometimes I put off choosing- I hem and haw over what to do for so long- that the choices disappear- which really sucks (coincidentally, sorta happened yesterday) (insert here - cliches about time & regret, etc.). I'm thankful to have choices still, whatever the case.

Minimal(ist) choices vs. wide
One way
Which way?-
It's getting(?) stale here in Doodlesville-
Why'd
I'm predicting myself.
Abstract

Just now remembering Castaway- great film.

7 Comments:

Blogger studio lolo said...

I love this illustration Andy! You always come at things with a fresh angle, so clever! It sounds like you're going through some growing pains these days. I'm right there with you about wanting simpler times back. I vascilate between being this independant woman who's been on her own since the age of fifteen, to every now and then wishing I had someone to take care of me. I mean REALLY take care of me, not just marry me. TMI !
Anyhoodle, I love the swallowing of the hurricane! When my husband was going through a midlife crisis he wrote a powerful poem called "Hurricane." Your video brought it to mind. Maybe I'll email it to you if we can find it.
Thanks for stopping by. I always say "Yay!" out loud when I see I have a comment from you :)

8:48 AM  
Blogger neilornstein said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:35 AM  
Blogger neilornstein said...

A pleasure as always to read and see and watch your post and to read Laurel's comments.
For reasons that I can't determine, your video, perhaps because it deals with incongruities of scale, put me in mind of Jonothan Swift:


"On Poetry: A Rhapsody (1733)

So, naturalists observe, a flea
Hath smaller fleas that on him prey;
And these have smaller still to bit 'em;
And so proceed ad infinitum.

Thus every poet, in his kind,
Is bit by him that comes behind."

9:36 AM  
Blogger Jenn Mason said...

I'm loving your interpretation of wide. I like to work in a series when I'm makin' art for the reasons you've stated. I start a piece and then I'm imobilized by the possibilities. If I work in a series, I can explore both options. Of course, this doesn't work so well with laundry and bill paying...you could see how you might accidentally send dirty undies to the utility company.

4:20 PM  
Blogger luisa brehm said...

loooooooooooooove the idea, Andy !!!
i think you should create more videos too .... you are eating all bad vibrations on earth !!!
powerful motion ....

big hugsssssssss, my Friend !!!
happyyyyyyyyy thursday ;-))))))))))

3:33 PM  
Blogger AndyDoodler said...

Thanks Laurel! Always really love your comments/visits and visiting you. Know what you're sayin' about independent (where it's all on you) vs. someone else doing all the worrying for you. I guess no growing pains- no growth- unless I hem and haw too long- ha.
Peace to you and your husband.

Thanks Neil! Great Swift piece- it really sums up way elegantly what I (not so elegantly) had in mind.

Thanks Jenn! Smart approach you have with series!
(hahaha- know what you mean- I hate when that happens (I'm sure the utility company does too).

Thanks Luisa! That Beach Boy's "Good good good- good vibrations" song is in my head now.
Big huggggs to you and happy day!

7:35 PM  
Blogger steve said...

So true Andy--I too am a great procrastinator, always putting things off far too long. Sigh. Still, it is indeed a good thing to have these choices still and not have some terrible dictatorship try and decide how we live (though, unfortunately, I think some Americxans would like it that way, whether they realize this or not). By the way, I love this minimal work here--so beautifully composed and simple--perfect.

5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home