Saturday, January 24, 2009

Climbing



















Magic vs. technology/science- I like the magic- and the simple, old-fashioned ways- I am sorta a Luddite too, (but not wholly though; I guess technology has it's place. Techno stuff sometimes seems like magic, it can be really fun, and, to say the least, it sure has its benefits. Yes it taketh away jobs, but it giveth them too, though maybe not enough in this economy? Whatever the case, it's often sad to say goodbye to the old). Technology and science seem to often take the preciousness and the realness and the original out of things (however, it can only go so far in taking the mystery out- so far). Also, with technology, everything is speed; people used to be able to take time doing things; now everything is expected to be instant.
Yadda blah blah- I know you've probably heard it all before, but- stop reading this snore, turn off your computer, and go outdoors for a walk, or go rock climbing, or climb a tree or magic beanstalk, or go fly a kite (haha)- or just do something techless (no cell phones, IM, TM, twitter, etc.). I'mmana.


Music: Henry Ragtime Texas Thomas playing guitar and panpipes and singing
"John Henry" in 1927.

12 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

Love this one Andy - your work has an element of magic in it, and I assume a wonderful merging with technology and old school ways. This reminds me of a recent meetup I had with some local artists. Everyone, including me, brought either their laptops or iphones. It as great at first, because it allowed us to share our work, etc., but things got strange when some people there seemed to get caught up with what was on their screens and not with the people there in fron t of them. I'm tempted to kindly request to leave all gadgets and gizmos at home and bring a sketchbook and pens/pencils next time we meet.

1:44 PM  
Blogger studio lolo said...

You, a luddite?? Pshaw!

I'm not a big techno fan. I do love the computer though, but I can live without most other gadgets and doodads. Just give me the outdoors if it's not too cold out. Last Sunday I had the day off and I took a book, a sketch pad, some pens and pencils and the dog.
It was heaven! That was all the magic I needed for one day.

I love the illustration~the simple vine and the complex rocket both reaching for the sky. Perfect!

Happy Sunday!

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

reminds me of Jack would get up his been stalk today if that book were written today. nice angle
michael dailey

3:45 PM  
Blogger juanpablito said...

jack would of been so greatful with thi invention a couple of years back... but hey... you had the idea today! lol.. great piece

4:05 PM  
Blogger trowbridge chronicles said...

You obviously have a real flair for drawing and rendering. Very nice piece.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

Cool idea!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Cat W said...

yeah, very cool idea! very creative and original!

8:25 PM  
Blogger get zapped said...

Beautiful image, Andy! Love the mix of magic and techno. You have a wonderful way of getting the heart of things.... I like this about your work. Plus, it presents the viewer with the opportunity to ponder, to take time...yes, I like the old fashioned way of things, too. The ragtime tune is wonderful.

Have a splendid week!

10:35 AM  
Blogger luisa brehm said...

this is sooooo cool, Andy !!!
let's fly ;-))))))))))))

happy chinese new year with lots of magic !!!
big hugssssss and kissessssssssssss

6:07 AM  
Blogger HARDWAX said...

I took your advice and went for a walk out, you know where, and i'm an ice cube. We've had about ten inches of ice and snow, and right now the rocket and the bean stalk are inviting, a warm part of the galaxy I think.

I like your mind doodleman.

2:03 PM  
Blogger AndyDoodler said...

Thanks all- I'm glad technology has introduced youze to me!

Great idea Steve - 'leave the gadgets & gizmos home'--- at least once or more a month.

Sounds like heaven, Laurel- I gotta do that more often

Yeah Michael & Jaun- I guess Jack probably would take the jetpack

Thanks Bron, Rrramone & Cat

Always glad when you ponder here GZ

XO's & HCNY to U Luisa

Looking at that cat and kittens in the drawer must have warmed you up Miri?

5:31 PM  
Blogger HARDWAX said...

Hi doodleman.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home