Saturday, May 05, 2007

Neighbor

Hello Neighbors- a poem came to mind for this topic- here it is with neighboring sketch :











MENDING WALL
Robert Frost
----------------------------------------------------------------
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun,
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
The work of hunters is another thing:
I have come after them and made repair
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
And on a day we meet to walk the line
And set the wall between us once again.
We keep the wall between us as we go.
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
'Stay where you are until our backs are turned!'
We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
One on a side. It comes to little more:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors'.
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
'Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
Where there are cows?
But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offence.
Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
That wants it down.' I could say 'Elves' to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
He said it for himself. I see him there
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
He moves in darkness as it seems to me~
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."
---------------------------------------------------------------------

12 Comments:

Blogger biteyourowntail said...

That's a really intense image - it's the use of colour (which I love, btw) And thanks for sharing the poem.

2:46 AM  
Blogger Michelle Lana said...

Very nice!

3:29 AM  
Blogger Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Great image, great poem. Thanks!

6:53 PM  
Blogger studio lolo said...

That is one of the best pieces of writing, ever. My husband is a writer/editor and had used this quote for a couple of leads.."Good fences make good neighbors." The illustration is magical, Andy. The colors of twilight. The "Maxfield Parrish" sky. I could get lost in this illo for hours :)

11:23 PM  
Blogger Ammon said...

Beautiful piece and great writing too. Simply awesome.

8:24 AM  
Blogger steve said...

Great horizontal piece Andy. You manage to do an excellent job capturing a strong sense of atmosphere in much of your work. The poem fits very well too. this reminds me of the stone wall built by eart artist Andy Goldsworthy, at the Storm King sculpture park in NY state.

2:20 PM  
Blogger luisa brehm said...

oi, Andy, i'm sooo sleepy don't know if i see well ;-))))))
neighbors and fences .... know what i see ??? 2 shy trees dating and moving slowly to hold each other ... i guess they break the wall ....
very cooooooooool illo !!!
no need to tell i love the poet ..
i'll come back soon, ok ???
sweet nite hugssssssssssssss

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Powerful connection between prose and art. Your illo has a fantasy feel to it. I love the colors and sky in particular. Thanks!

9:57 AM  
Blogger HARDWAX said...

Some things aren't fenced in, or out so easily. I think people like to declare what is posessed by them, and fences are a way to show it. Great poem!
Twilight, I like the stars beginning to appear, and the feeling of a warm evening, far away and quiet, and so happy because that sad little stone fence won't obey. Beautiful, beautiful!

11:04 AM  
Blogger AndyDoodler said...

Thanks Sarah!

Thanks Michelle!

Thanks Pequete!

Thanks Scott!

Thanks Studio Lolo! I agree this is one of best pieces of writing, ever- he's amazing.

Thanks Ammon! R.F. would thank you too

Thanks Steve! Mr. G. is amazing! He's got insane patience too!

Thanks Luisa! haha - I think I see more clearly when half asleep- you always seem to see well no matter.
Yeah- leave it to the trees...
Hope you had a nice rest- and you have to come back again soon.
sweet day huggsss to you

Thanks GZ!

Thanks Miri! You put it so beautifully.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Very cool illustration. Nice job.

11:30 PM  
Blogger arvindh said...

cool illo here!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home