Monday, May 28, 2007

Car(s)?

"Cars" brought to mind Lou Reed- and here's the scribbly:

















Music and lyrics-- the lyrics to me are secondary- if the music sounds good- I feel the piece is successful- if the lyrics are good too- well that's icing on the cake. If the lyrics are not so good- well- oh well; I'll read a good book or a poem if I want good lyrics while listening to music. Where does Lou Reed fit in here?-- I've never really known much about Lou Reed- I know he's been around forever- he was in The Velvet Underground- I know he was friends with, and promoted by Warhol for a time- and I know I never really enjoyed what little I've heard musically from him. Too non-melodic for my taste- I guess his first concern is concept/conceptual art, and the lyrics, but I guess I need to listen to a lot more of him. So anyhow, when I got my Mac a few years back- the i-Tunes came packaged with some sample music; I really loved/love one of the songs called "Ecstasy", and was surprised that it was Lou Reed's. It has a great sound, great beats to go with great lyrics- reminds me a little of Leonard Cohen, and partly has a kinda soothing chant like feel. (Remembering now- first heard L.C. when I watched film McCabe & Mrs. Miller about 15yr.'s ago- you wanna get depressed-- watch it. The soundtrack is kinda dated (so what)- but beautiful- so's the film). I think my New Year's resolution was to not babble on and on here--- %$#@!- oh well. Guess babbling is easier to do, and fit in time wise.

13 Comments:

Blogger Janice Ykema said...

its nice to be reminded to be grateful for a car that works.... I had a car like the one you pictured... too often on blocks... with the hood up!
Good Job!

6:20 PM  
Blogger studio lolo said...

Excellent drawing with all the cool cross-hatching and stuff!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Twisselman said...

Sweet Jane, Walk On The Wild Side, and Rock and Roll I've heard, but not Ecstacy. Had to go to Yahoo Tunes to hear a 30 sec clip. Not really a Lou Reed fan, but reading the lyrics, I see you've captured that 'old Ford' across the street. Great 'scribbly'.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice sepia drawing!!

7:27 PM  
Blogger biteyourowntail said...

I'm thinking you like the underbelly of city life - I know I find it infinitely more interesting than the pretty stuff, and i like your drawing too.

I'm a Lou Reed fan, but music for me is a mood thing - somtimes I want sometihng with a hard edge, other times, something different. Ever heard of Nick Drake? Melodi, a little melancholy, but some stunning (IMHO) lyrics.

3:49 AM  
Blogger neilornstein said...

Here is a life performance of Exstacy by Reed. Lovely New Yorker type of drawing.
Neil

5:38 AM  
Blogger Michelle Lana said...

Very nice!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Richard Franklin said...

The sepia coloured line work and cross hatching give this drawing a real old time look - I like it a lot. Good choice of sound track too! Something by Muddy Waters or John Lee Hooker would also fit this drawing.

9:00 AM  
Blogger steve said...

Excellent scribble Andy! I feel the same about music--I love a good lyric but yeah, it's not essential. I'll have to check this tune out then, anyhow.

4:46 PM  
Blogger AndyDoodler said...

Thanks Janice!- yes- I know what your say'n'

Thanks StudioLolo!

Thanks Twisselman! I was gonna post the mpg- but not sure about the copyright rules?

Thanks Alina!

Thanks Sarah! Yeah- I like the texture of the off the pretty path stuff- but I like a lot of the boring stuff too. Depends on the mood. & yeah music is def. a mood thing for me too. Ironically- first heard Nick Drake the same way I heard Lou Reed, i.e., my i-Tunes came with Nick Drake's Pink Moon album- I really think it's awesome- even if it isn't typically melodic. I listened, and didn't know who the hell he was- thought he was a new guy with a retro feel- but then sadly found he was gone long ago, and way too soon.

Thanks Neil!

Thanks Michelle!

Thanks aarph! Those two are coool!

Thanks Steve! Hey- Jazz is good example- lyrics not essential-- most often no lyrics.

6:45 PM  
Blogger HARDWAX said...

Your "scribbly" is full with rust and ghosts of baby desperados, who have picked the poor little car clean. I love your idea, wish I had thought of it. Gritty, realistic anf wonderful sketch, and I to, love the sepia.
Good song.
Beautiful work Doodleman!

10:42 PM  
Blogger luisa brehm said...

well, Andy, i'm a suspect and you know that ;-))))))))
i love everything you do ....
like this kind of sepia texture scribbly ??? i never know how to write .... i see it's all abandoned a long ago ....
and i love Lou ....
bigggggggggg hugssssssssssss
happyyyyyyyyyy last day of may !!!

4:51 AM  
Blogger AndyDoodler said...

Thanks Miri! "Ghosts" is a good word here- and "baby desperadoes" hahaha

Thanks Luisa! Hahaha- I wont say a word.
Hugggssss for June

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home