Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Momentum


























If get bored and/or are busy- no oblig. to read through following (thinking sort of when house guests are forced to watch hosts' family slideshows):

Momentum by remembrance:
My Great Aunt Bessie passed away yesterday morning- basically from years of smoking- she died from emphysema.
She did make it to 98 - with all her faculties- living in her apartment, strong to the end and drinking a few strong ones everyday. 98, but she didn't want to leave the table yet- she was feisty and still hungry for more. I don't know if I want to be aware when near leaving- subject always reminds me of a great man I knew who not only was aware on his hospice death bed (f'n cancer)- but refused meds so that he "could experience death itself." His wife and a Native American shaman held his hand- the shaman helped guide him over to the "other side"- she said he was a little resistant in his last moments here- but finally crossed over peacefully. I don't do drugs (yes- it's true)- however, don't know how brave I'll be if aware when near the end. I don't know what to believe- irt the 'other side' and all- I'm cynical, but open- I wish open more fanatically so- less resistance and all- I'm surely not an atheist - I do not believe it is delusional to believe all is possible- (doubt sucks- I guess [ I'd bring up the whole recently illuminated deal with Mother Teresa- amazing human being- but too much here]).
So Bessie was the last surviving of 5 siblings- and with her gone, it seems to me like the end of an era- none of my great aunts and uncles and grandparents are here anymore. They did all live pretty long lives- though Bessie almost didn't make it past 5 or 6 years old; the story goes that one day my grandfather, 4 years her elder, was watching her and didn't do such a good job of it- as she ended up wandering off into a bullpen. Her mother came running frantically in search of Bessie, and found her behind the iron bars of the pen which Bessie had managed to squeeze through. Without pause, my great grandmother in a miraculous feat of strength, with her bare hands bent the bars apart- rescuing my great aunt. Great Grandma (I never met her and need to ask my dad what her first name was) was a tiny woman- well under 5ft tall- so how did she manage to bend those bars - bars which even a large man could not have bent? Love - mom-entum and adrenaline- I guess.

A link to past momentum:
Insect

11 Comments:

Blogger studio lolo said...

This is such a breathtakingly, stunning piece. The figures making up the spheres are subtle yet powerful in their momentus force. You're brilliant, Andy.
And I love the tribute to Aunt Bessie. Her stories are wonderful. Sounds like she was meant to be here for 90-plus years, smoking cigs or not.
I'll raise my glass to her tonight. And to you as well.

10:25 AM  
Blogger steve said...

Here's to Bessie and to a beautiful story (and art work) Andy!!

11:03 AM  
Blogger get zapped said...

Fantastic piece, Andy! I love the Joyce quote and it really fits nicely. Your story about Great Aunt Bessie is touching and inspiring. So much to embrace in this lifetime, and so much gets in our way of this (usually my own thoughts/doubts), so here's to your family history and all that follows. Peace.

1:31 PM  
Blogger janie said...

Wow, I love the art work, amazing thought provoking image, and I really enjoyed reading about Bessie. It sort of explains a lot of what's going on in the illustrations.

3:33 PM  
Blogger HARDWAX said...

There is so much here.
Amazing artwork doodleman-amazing!
I'm sorry you lost your great aunt Bessie, sounds like she was a special human being, and apparently her mother was something special as well.

The life force of becoming born pushes the human being forward, and the human being becomes the momentum. Somewhere down the road though, the death force, begins it's push, and get's, in most instances, no help at all from the human being. So I guess death is the anti-momentum,
See what you do to me.

This illo is awesome!

6:44 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Andy, me again man. Drop by my blog for you award.

4:53 AM  
Blogger AndyDoodler said...

Thanks much Laurel, Steve, GZ, Janie, and Miri- and I'm sure Bessie thanks you all too.

Yeah that's a good way to see it Laurel- I guess how ever long we are here is what is meant to be.

Lots to embrace- and yeah- same here GZ- too much thought and doubt usually really gets in my way too.

Haha- well- glad I can get you back for what 'you do to me' when I read your work (always amazing and enjoyable).
I guess depending on how 'death' is seen- it either gives momentum - or, yeah- is 'anti-momentum'. Also a Q about where we come from and where we go- and any connections between it all.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Twisselman said...

Let me extend my sympathies to you in the loss of your great aunt. Sounds like her mother was a real firebrand, too, under 5 ft tall or not.

The illustrations all work great in their own ways... Your equations always possess impeccable logic, as seen in the first two, but it is the third one that speaks to me most. That awesome human wheel (filled in in this rendition) and those great lines from Joyce... faintly falling... All done just right.

9:43 PM  
Blogger ° said...

not sure i quit understand the math matics of this one andy but i love the colors and spheres and the relationship to life death and ones existence. sorry for ur lost of ur great aunt bessie. sounds like quite an woman

6:18 AM  
Blogger luisa brehm said...

i'm sorry about your great aunt, Andy ...
anyway, this is a must see in big, because it's just amazing !!!!

4:21 PM  
Blogger AndyDoodler said...

Thanks Twis, Md, and Luisa

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home